World Health Statistics is the flagship statistical publication of the World Health Organization released annually in May at the time of the World Health Assembly. Compiled by my Unit, it is the definitive source of information on the health of the world’s people. The latest edition, World Health Statistics 2013, is available online at www.who.int/gho
Did you know:
- Every day, about 800 women die due to complications of pregnancy and childbirth.
- In some countries, less than 10% of women who want to prevent pregnancy have access to any contraceptive methods.
- Children in low-income countries are 16 times more likely to die before reaching the age of five, than children in high-income countries.
- China now has a higher life expectancy at birth than 7 of 10 countries in eastern Europe.
- Almost half of all countries surveyed have access to less than half the essential medicines they need for basic health care in the public sector